Tuesday, May 10, 2011

A Four Page Layout

Hi, it's Aliza, and I am here to share a scrapbook revelation that I had this year. When beginning to work on a layout, often the first thing I think about is: One page layout or two? Lots of photos or just one or two? A mini album, perhaps? One day I realized, it doesn't have to be any of those! How? Keep reading, and you will soon find out.

I always have a lot of pictures from Purim, and lots of little things that I want to remember. In years past, I made multiple Purim layouts; about costumes, carnivals, baking, mishloach manot, and whatever else struck my fancy about the day. Last year, I decided I wanted to get it all on one layout, and I did. I liked it so much, I did it again this year. And this year, I had the added benefit of making the layout with papers and stickers from the Rosh Hashana line.



I was very pleased with myself for this darling little layout, and was all set to share how to create a grid in Photoshop Elements, and how I used text boxes for all that journaling.

Except. Then I realized that I forgot something. I really wanted to include a little story about my son on the morning of his school Purim carnival. I did not want to start from scratch, and I didn't want to make another 12x12 page. So, I made a 6x8 inch scrapbook page, and I included the story there. On the second side, I simply printed one of the photos again as a 6x8 picture. This 6x8 page will go right in my 12x12 album, right between the two pages that you see above. So, my two page layout, has become a 4 page layout. Like so:





This little technique is especially easy to use when working with a grid layout, as I often do. The smaller page flows so easily with the overall design. I cut an 8.5 x 11 sheet protector, and sewed the edge to make it the right size. (And I'm not one of those cool people with gorgeous stitching on their layouts. I don't have a sewing machine, and I just did the best I could to go in a straight-ish line. But, it suits me just fine.)

Anyway, I was very excited when I realized I had a whole new layout option for telling my stories. I hope it is helpful to you, too.

-Aliza

4 comments:

  1. great page, and great idea about the smaller page in between, I'll have to try that

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cute. I like the blocking.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the mixed size pages...it's so much more interesting that way!

    ReplyDelete