Sunday, June 20, 2010

Crafting Jewish Style Background Color Tip for Your Layouts

Hi everyone! Today I'm here to share a tip about color. Everyone has a favorite color and favorite color combos to work with but sometimes it's nice to get out of your "comfort zone." One way you can do this is to try changing the background color of your pages. Different colors evoke different feelings and give a page a different mood. I scrapped this page using a kraft background:






In order to see what the page would look like with different background colors, I scanned the layout into PhotoShop and then used the magic wand tool (to select the areas to change), the eyedropper tool (to pick up a new color), and the paint bucket (to add the new background to the page).

First, I tried black. Using a black background can really help your photos and other elements "pop":



Take a look at how the feel of the page changes with a blue background:



What do you think of the green?:



Lastly, let's look at a yellow background. The yellow adds a warm, homey feel to the page:



So, as you can see, each color evokes a different feeling. Take some time to experiment on your next page to see which colors work best for you. It's a completely personal opinion. :)

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tip, Lisa. I'm never sure about colors-I like this option of trying out the background,and experimenting until I get the right feeling that I'm trying to convey.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're so welcome. Sometimes choosing the background color is the hardest part about scrapping for me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the blue best, but the whole series was interesting. Michael Barnett

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the layout. For those of us who don't have scanning possibilities, you could still play around with 'real paper' to see the same concept. Thanks for the tip!

    ReplyDelete