1) My first tip for you would be to turn off the flash!
Let the lights of the candles illuminate your subjects. You will have to turn up your ISO and hold very steady but this is the most dramatic way to improve your Hanukkah photos
2) Try capturing a reflection of the candles for even more glow:
It sets a VERY subtle mood to photograph this setting. :) We like to light our Hanukkiahs in the window and I love the look of the reflection.
3) Put the candles in focus, not the people:
Here you get the feel for the child lighting the candles as her hand is in the frame, but we can see it is the third night of Hanukkah and the focus is on the candles.
4) Try a different angle to get a feel for the evening:
On this night we are at our large family party. Each family brings a Hanukkiah to light and I wanted to capture everyone's Hanukkiahs as we were lighting them.
5) Don't forget to capture the fun in action!!
We love a good game of dreidel!
6) Don't forget to take pictures of the decor:
Again, turning off the flash is the best tip here...and lastly, but certainly not least!
7) Photograph the FUN!!
It's always fun to capture a true and honest expression of joy!!
Hope you are enjoying our 8 Days of Hanukkah so far...please let us know in the comments section how you capture the best Hanukkah memories with your camera for your chance to win a prize!